College Eats

A blog about my year of purposeful singleness and the one enticing dish I'll make every week to celebrate it.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tofu-Pesto Lasagna

Well today was lasagna day. I actually didn't put too much thought into this dish because I've made it so many times, but you know, for the sake of beginning a post, I wanted to start with a dish that I truly, truly love.

Now, I stumbled upon this recipe in the first 3 months of becoming vegetarian and I picked up this book called Eat Right 4 Your Type by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo that talked about blood type and foods that work well for those blood types as well as exercises that best suited those individuals. Long story short I ended up with this lasagna recipe and thinking to myself WOW this has gotta be a good dish I have to make it!


Mashed tofu with oregano, salt, and olive oil (I used Canola cuz I was out of the other stuff)

Soy Cheese, pesto, spinach/tofu/seasonings mixture

See the steam? ooOOoo...

Tada! The cheese on top is in chunks because the room started to heat up and the cheese couldn't stay shredded anymore.

The piece I had while blogging.


Its funny how the things you never thought you'd enjoy become life habits and even life changing events. I became a vegetarian out of curiousity and now its become a long standing life habit.

I met up with an IV intern and talked about how I was apprehensive about being a small group leader next year. And although the two things don't directly parallel each other...I feel in some small way deciding to become a vegetarian was a very great step of...shall I say...faith? That honestly, I didn't know exactly what it would do to my body and definitely I did not know that it would benefit me in such a monumental way. I'm not saying everyone should become a vegetarian, but I am saying that for myself trying out this one new habit has become a life style that has brought me a new perspective on health and well being. And in some ways my intern friend was trying to tell me the same thing that even with all the uncertainties of the coming year (finances, family's well being) would I regret not being a small group leader? If these uncertainties remained, if they dissipated, if - if - if. And obviously these were all hypothetical questions because I really have no way of 100% guaranteeing my family's well being, honestly at this point in my life I don't have those types of resources at my disposal. But what I can give my family is love. Having a healthy relationship with them, being responsible with the money in my pocket, being faithful to the things I've been given responsibility over...how does that not honor my family? It was very encouraging to be able to share that with my friend and learn that they too were going through similar thoughts and fears.

Maybe I've gotta just give it a try like I do everything else?
Maybe it'll become a life long thing that will bring me joy like being vegetarian has?
I don't know...I think I just have to go in faith that it'll be okay even if I don't know it all.


Hope you like pesto-lasagna as much as I do. Until next time =)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home